Saturday, April 23, 2011

Beta Ubuntu 11.04

I have managed to upgrade an installation of current release Ubuntu on wubi to 11.04. I have for the most part enjoyed it, though there are some issues;

Ubuntu software center is almost always stalling, but it tends to work fairly well. I’ve had some issues with longer installs, and the repositories seem to change, or become unavailable unexpectedly, but this is only every other time. This issue seems to be fixed by updating the catalog information in synaptic or apt-get, but it is annoying nonetheless.

I have to say that the unity desktop is amazing, it looks great, and seems to know exactly what items to take from the menu bar, making it feel fairly similar to Mac, except that it is Linux, and therefore I can love it.  It is fast and the taskbar looks great, but is a bit annoying, though that is probably because I haven’t figured out how to edit the categories which software appears under, not that software management is an issue when you have a search bar which works nearly instantaneously when you know what you’re looking for, but still I’d enjoy having the simple categorical folder layout as well.

The desktop system feels faster than gnome, despite the fact that it really is just gnome wrapped in 3d. Unity feels fun to use, and for the most part it is.

The last issue that I can say that I have with it is that Ubuntu still uses the nautilus file browser, which is fine, it works well, but I simply don’t like it. It simply isn’t streamlined enough, it has too many features in some places and not enough in others. But I’m probably the only one who feels that way about it.

Either way, if you enjoy alliterative software, or even simply good software, then this is going to be a great release. I’d only recommend that you download the beta if you really like new ‘bleeding-edge’ software, and you know how to deal with the little quirks of Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment